Want to run a business in the Somerset Regional Council area? Keep on reading. Why? We want to help you.
DID YOU KNOW 80% OF START-UP BUSINESSES FAIL TO MAKE IT PAST THEIR FIRST YEAR OF OPERATION?
Why? Lack of preparation and planning. Running your own business can be tough at times, but with the right foundations using careful preparation and planning, you can hit the ground running and reap the rewards.
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE TERM “THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL”?
This phrase refers to mysterious element hidden in the details, meaning that something might seem simple at a first glance, but will take more time and effort to complete than expected.
You’ve got it under control, you’ve got drive, ambition and all the right ingredients for success and you’re ticking all the boxes.
- business concept
- business plan
- business name and logo
- perfect business location
- five year plan
So you’re ready to rumble? …or are you?
Have you contacted Council to see if you need approvals to operate your business?
THE IMPORTANCE OF COUNCIL APPROVALS
Did you know?
- Council approvals must be sought before commencement of your business
- Operating a business without Council approvals is an unlawful activity
- Pre-lodgement meetings are free
Failure to have Council approvals could result in:
- No/incorrect insurance cover for your business?
- Business closure and loss of income
When you are a Council approved business:
- You open the door to amazing promotional opportunities
HOW TO KICK START THE COUNCIL APPROVAL APPLICATION PROCESS
Talk to a Council planner and give them as much detail and information as possible.
Here is a list of questions to answer in your proposal that will help Council’s planning department work out what approvals you may need.
- What type of business is it (eg, food/accommodation/outdoor activity?
- Lot and plan number (if known), location is important
- What do you plan to do?
- Will you be preparing food on site for sale?
- What is the size of your business space?
- How many rooms are there?
- How many rooms will be used for accommodation?
- What amenities are available for guests?
- How often will these be used for accommodation for guests?
- Is your business wheelchair accessible?
- How many people do you expect to host at maximum capacity?
- What car parking space is available?
SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL
Somerset Regional Council
PO Box 117
Esk Qld 4312
2 Redbank Street
Esk Qld 4312
OPEN THE DOOR TO MORE OPPORTUNITY
Did you know? When your business has the right Council approvals, you open the door to a world of amazing promotional opportunities making you eligible to
- add your business to the free somerset.qld.gov.au business directory
- display your brochures in our four visitor information centres
- advertise in the Somerset Regional Visitor Guide
- advertise on exeperiencesomerset.com.au
- have your social media posts shared on Experience Somerset official
facebook and instagram pages
- Over 75 volunteers promoting your business 362 days a year
- attend Somerset Tourism tradeshow stands
- attend Somerset Tourism workshops and networking opportunities
- Plus…we know you exist!
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Phone Somerset Regional Council’s planning department for more information