If you’re looking for a beautiful spot to relax, explore nature and spend the day with family, Cormorant Bay, Lake Wivenhoe is for you.
This immaculately maintained recreation reserve is located in Somerset only five minutes drive north of Fernvale above the Lake Wivenhoe wall.
Cormorant Bay, Lake Wivenhoe features barbecues, under cover picnic tables, parking, large open spaces, grassed areas, toilets, playground, plenty of shady trees and Cormorant Bay Cafe, open Wednesday to Sunday.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Wivenhoe Dam wall is 59 metres high and 2300 metres long
- Lake Wivenhoe holds twice as much water as Sydney Harbour and seven times the capacity of Gold Coast’s Hinze Dam
DINING WITH A DIFFERENCE
Fancy a bite to eat? Pop into Cormorant Bay Cafe, open Wednesday to Sunday, sit on the deck and take in the amazing views over Lake Wivenhoe while dining on delicious delights made from locally sourced produce.
CORMORANT BAY WALKING TRAIL
The lake trail and ridge trail loop at Cormorant Bay is perfect for nature lovers and fitness enthusiasts, adults and children. The loop is 3.5km long, takes about one hour to complete and meanders through beautiful bushland abundant in wildlife.
When you’re sitting back looking out at Lake Wivenhoe, you may notice large dark patches on the farthest parts of the dam. Is it the shadow of a cloud? Actually, it’s masses of Cormorants sitting out on the water, hence the name Cormorant Bay. You can also spot, fish, turtles, pelicans, ducks, kites, eagles, monitors, wallabies, kangaroos and more.
From dusk until dawn, Cormorant Bay, Lake Wivenhoe is a fantastic place to sit, enjoy the view and take some amazing scenic and wildlife inspired photography.
Take the time to explore the grounds at Cormorant Bay, Lake Wivenhoe as there are so many different areas available to set up for your day that offer a different view of the parklands and Lake Wivenhoe.
- These grounds are managed by Seqwater, please abide by the rules when you visit
- Dogs are not permitted on Seqwater land, please leave them at home
- Pack a picnic
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- Bring a hat and sunscreen
- Throw a football, play a game of cricket in the park
- Make your way out the spit (left as you enter the reserve) and check out the dam wall
- Walk the trail and ridge trail loop
- Bring your fishing rod
SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
VISIT CORMORANT BAY – LAKE WIVENHOE
Cormorant Bay, Lake Wivenhoe is located five minutes drive north of Fernvale. Access is on the right just before you cross Wivenhoe Dam wall. Toilets are located at the top and the bottom of the central parkland area.